Branch History

The Cedar-Clinton Branch Library started as the College Branch on April 17, 1922, to serve the residents of North Fresno.  At that time it was an upstairs room in the Fresno State Teacher’s College (now the site of Fresno City College).  

Like the Biola and Teague branches, the College Branch was open to the entire community, not just students and faculty. After a recommendation by College Branch custodian Mina Keller to the college president, the room was re-established on the first floor, which had better lighting and space to grow. 

By 1949, the College had grown to the point that the room was needed for its expansion.  So on October 17, 1949 the branch was moved northeast to a newly constructed building at Fresno Street and Clinton Avenue (2435 N. Fresno St.) opposite the new VA Hospital.  On January 31, 1950, the Fresno County Board of Supervisors officially renamed the College Branch the North Fresno Branch to reflect the location change.  After the end of the first year, check out of materials at the new location had more than doubled from the original location.  

In 1951, the branch received telephone service for the very first time.  In March 1958, the branch was moved into a different room in the same building, roughly double its size.  It remained the northernmost Fresno branch until the Fig Garden Branch opened in September 1962.  

In just five years, the branch had already outgrown its capacity.  It was the third highest circulating branch in the Fresno County Free Library system.  On February 17, 1963, the branch moved again, this time to the corner of Fountain Way and Cedar Ave, at 3349 N. Cedar Ave.  However, by 1975 the branch had once again outgrown its spot, having circulated over 175,000 items annually, staying in 3rd place.  

On March 15, 1976, the branch began its move to the present location at the Cedar and Clinton Avenues.  The new North Fresno Branch celebrated its grand-opening on April 2, 1976 in its newly renovated 7,500 square foot home.  After a patron questionnaire survey, the name of the North Fresno Branch was officially changed to the Cedar-Clinton Branch in March 1977.

Photo of the College Branch located at Fresno State Teacher's College (now Fresno City College), circa 1925.

No comments:

Post a Comment